Saturday 4 February 2012

Day 1 - My Arrival


Welcome to DAY 1 of the day to day living of our beautiful baby Bengal Eagle Owl

Let me start the story....

The Bengal Eagle Owl hatched on Thursday 19th January 2012 – she was 1 of 3 eggs to hatch....she was kept with her mum for just a few days then brought indoors and hand reared by her breeder...


The first photograph
We were sent regular updates and photographs of the owl and then it was arranged that she could be collected from Liverpool today 4th February 2012 – aged 16 days today.....
6 days old 25th January 2012 and I'm in the middle - I have just opened my eyes for the first time

Dad set off before 9am with his buddy Andrew to collect me from Liverpool and bring me back to my new home in Hull...it was an exciting day for all concerned....dad took pictures and videos and stood for what seemed like a lifetime talking to my “old” owners...


10 days old, 29th January 2012, Im the one nearest you...the pretty one!

Soon we were on the road – I was transported in a cup drink box of all things....what they like eh? Here I am, a creature of immense beauty, and I'm plonked carefully I must add – into a blackcurrant flavoured drink box....you can go off people you know....


13 days old, 1st February 2012, I'll soon be bigger than the teddy!

The journey back saw us travel through heavy rain and then snow – but I was warm and cosy in the cup drink box....I wont let them forget that you know!!!!


15 days old, 3rd February 2012 - I am the bigger of the two - but can you tell which that is?

Once home I was greeted by my new mum and Layton – he loves me you know....I heard mum and dad talking and they said it was a surprise as Layton hasn’t really taken to the other birds of prey they have... that’s a good start then. Layton was happily stroking me and I loved it....he giggled when my head went a little floppy with delight...


My very first photo in my new home....how cute! 4th Febraury 2012

I was picked up and cuddled by mum....think she was a little surprised by my strength when I suddenly without any warning dug my talons into her hand...not really hard – but hard enough for her to know I am a tough bod.....

At least the colour is getting better - hope mum does get to master that camera - and soon.....

The mobile phone came out for pictures as did the camera – from what I've heard mum needs lessons on how to set up her camera – and then how to use it – I believe she took around 40 photos and ended up with just a handful of usable ones....so if anyone can help her - please leave a comment on here for her – we will all be grateful....

Ahh yes - typical female - I turned my back on mum trying to get a photo - its so good to stretch - and I can almost see over the box too....
So then I was put into my new home – a spacious clear box – high sided but I can see all that goes on...dad put tissue and then some wood chip cat litter in the bottom – of course I had to have a good peck at the tissue....it looked clean and tidy for a few mins at least!

This shows just how big I am - sat in dads hands....do my beak and talons look big??

Layton sat beside my box watching my dad – his grandad – feed me...everyone was smiling and a little shocked at just how much I ate – in fact dad did weigh me this evening and I weighed in at 1lb 3oz – the fully grown Barn Owl Polly only weighs in at 1lb 1oz – so I'm certainly going to be a big owl....

And here I am - with my dad...what a handsome pair we make!!!!

I have no name as yet – but that’s fine – I heard dad say he didn’t want to rush into naming me – he wants to get it right...good – that makes me happy!

We will stop here for today – but please follow me and find out all that happens on a day to day basis in my life...with photos as well as text, interesting facts and keep a record of my weight....and if you actually live near to me – why not pop round and see my for yourself – I intend to make friends with everyone....

Thank you for taking an interest – see you tomorrow I hope....

8 comments:

  1. A real wee cutie Angie and Pete. Lovely photos. I'm looking forward to 'tuning in' each day to see the little one's progress. Thank-you for sharing. Love to all. Liz xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool new blog Angie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to seeing your new addition grow up!!
    Nothing wrong with the photos either!! :) :) Mx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Angie & Pete! She will be beautiful with your care, hugs Jae x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I was surprised at how big she is, looking forward to seeing her next time I call in. x Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi pete thats a cool blog she looks brill mate good luck with her please keep in touch,tony & paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous little lady! She has grown so fast already, it will be lovely to watch her progress! Your pics are great Angie, and super blog! Pauline x.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another cute member of your ever growing 'family'. Good luck with the new blog. I look forward to following your little one's progress Wynn x

    ReplyDelete