Sunday 19 February 2012

Day 16


Welcome to DAY 16 of the day to day living of our beautiful baby Bengal Eagle Owl


Thanks for dropping by again – I have YET another treat today so at least have more news to share with you!

Today dad made me my first pair of jesses – these are just training jesses – but I am so proud of them – and they make my legs look a lot slimmer too which is good!!! Dad made a good job of them – between you and me though, when he gathered all the tools and leather I did wonder what on earth was going on – it was a huge relief when he finally finished and I saw what he had made!

I heard dad explaining to mum that generally birds hate having to have jesses on the first time – but to me it wasn't a big deal! They dont hurt and I think they look pretty classy – don't you?

The reason for the these is so a leash can be slotted through the eyelet and its that what is held on to when a bird is on the glove – let go of the leash and the bird will fly off – for those who followed Polly's blog – you know what I'm talking about!

So all dressed up in new leather jesses I was sat on the glove for quite a while really – I am getting better by the day – guess I just have to accept this is the norm so the sooner I adapt and get on with it the better it is for us all!

Dad actually took me out into the garden too – he let me walk about on the floor – it was great fun – but I did feel the cold after being under the heat bulb for big parts of the day and all night! But this is something else I will have to adapt to – wont be to much longer before I am spending my days out in the fresh air just like Polly, Gizmo and Kai....

When dad put me on the kitchen worktop so I could show of my new additions to mum, he threw a chick my way – what the.... so far I have had my chicks all chopped up and the yolk is drained before I get fed – I have the mice whole – but so far not a chick! As it was I just wasn't hungry so just walked around the chick watching it – well you never know when something like this is going to pounce – and I wanted to be ready for it.....

And first for me today – dad changed my box over – so now I am in a big deep box – its not much fun – I cant really see through it, and there is no way I can see over it – so feel pretty isolated! Dad commented to mum he thought I was over quiet so is taking it as a sign I aren't happy in the bog box – he said tomorrow he will put me back in the small one until I realise I can climb out...

The daily info for you now....weight a gnats hair below 2lb now and I have had 7 chicks and 1 mouse – wow I am getting greedier aren't I?

Right then that's all for today folks – just the piccies for you to look through!!!!



















Till next time....night....x....

No comments:

Post a Comment